“I felt your prayers!” I love to hear someone say this. Praying for someone is such a privilege and it is also a gift when someone offers prayers on your behalf. I love group texts. Such an amazing tool of technology! I have used it often in the last 5 years when I have needed prayer or someone else has needed prayer. I have a group of praying friends that I can shoot a text to and know they will pray. I haven’t necessarily had to be specific in my texts but just over 2 years ago I needed prayer over some important decisions I had to make. Sending those group texts over several months and seeking God and His will in taking the right steps was an amazing walk for me spiritually.
Looking back I see that He answered all of the prayers. Some were answered immediately and some of the answers came gradually. Some answers were not what I wanted to hear at the time, but upon reflection I am so thankful that I didn’t lean on my feelings or what I thought was best. I always tell my kids God has the “helicopter view” and He does. He knows what lies in front of us. In seeking Him, we can make the “turns” He directs which can keep us from running off a “cliff!”
Seeking out praying friends is vitally important in life. I love the scripture found in 1 Peter 3:12, “For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are open to their prayers.” If we are righteous, not perfect, but wholeheartedly seeking God, His ears hear our prayers and the prayers of others!! In God’s word it says, “when two or more are gathered together, there I will be also.” Group texts allow several of us to gather together in prayer no matter our location!! I love it!! Something I highly recommend!!
I realize sometimes our prayers can be hindered. Trust me, you do NOT WANT your prayers to be BLOCKED!! Scripture is very specific about the “BLOCKS” that can be put on our prayers. Allow me to share:
1. UNCONFESSED SIN: Isaiah 59:1-2, “Surely the arms of the Lord is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God. Your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear.
- John 1:9, “IF we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive us our sins and purify us from unrighteousness.”
- Psalm 66:18, “IF I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.”
- UNFORGIVENESS: Mark 11:25, “And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven my forgive your sins.”
- LACK OF SENSITIVITY: Proverbs 21:13, “IF a man shuts his ear to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.”
- WRONG MOTIVES: James 4:3, “You ask and do not receive, because you ask with the wrong motives……….”
- PROUD ATTITUDE: James 4:10, “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.”
- HUSBAND-WIFE RELATIONSHIP: 1Peter 3:7, “Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wife, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner, as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.”
Never assume God doesn’t hear your prayers. First, take a personal inventory to make sure you haven’t sabotaged yourself by self imposing blocks as referenced above!! If you have blocks, take out the “dynamite” and blow them up! In other words, deal with the things hindering your prayers.
Next, pray and seek the prayers of others, if you feel comfortable doing so, and then patiently wait and expect God to answer! Obey and put into action Philippians 4:6, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” God didn’t put us here on earth just to exist without His help. His power is available to us as believers. Prayer is a powerful tool! As you seek to grow your prayer life, I encourage you to look forward to seeing the Scripture of Jeremiah 33:3 more evident in your life, “Call to me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things…….”